How to prune topiary
How do you reshape a topiary?
- Use secateurs, scissors or single-handed shears to cut young topiary or intricate forms.
- Trim lightly until the basic form is clearly visible – it’s easier to trim again rather than cut drastically, ruining the shape.
- For box hedges and edgings, trim the new growth using a pair of garden hand shears.
How do you shape a topiary cone?
How to prune topiary
- To prune balls, take a length of garden wire and twist it into a circular shape that can be held and moved over the plant as you prune.
- Restore a cone shape by standing above the plant and pruning in an outward direction from the centre, working around the plant.
How often do you trim topiary?
Trim annually with topiary shears or hedge-cutters in early or late summer to keep specimen in shape. Faster growing species may need to be trimmed twice or more each season. Suckers and unwanted branches can also be removed.
When can you cut back topiary?
When to clip. Trim annually with topiary shears or hedge-cutters in early or late summer to keep specimen in shape. Faster growing species may need to be trimmed twice or more each season.
What do you do with a topiary in the winter?
You may have to cover your topiary in freezing temperatures. Avoid using plastic, it can freeze to the plant causing damage. You can find inexpensive clothes designed to protect plants from freezing. Old bed sheets also work, just be sure the plant is completely covered.
What do you use to trim a topiary?
To trim your topiary plant, avoid using long-bladed hedge trimmers or hedge shears, which might not allow you to cut properly from various angles. We use a sharp pair of bypass hand pruners or handheld clipping shears to trim back the new growth to desired length. Start trimming your topiary plant from the top down.
How do you give plants shapes?
Prune off all other low-growing stems and tie the selected one to a durable stake.
- When the plant is tall enough, pinch off the tip to make the top bushy.
- As the top grows, shape it into the desired form by more pinching and pruning.
- Carefully remove all unwanted buds that sprout along the main stem or trunk.